Sunday, January 14, 2007

I smell like a monkey ...

... and I look like one too.

Yes, today is my birthday.



If you would like to know how old I am today, here are two clues. (The second clue is a little more fun, I think.)

(1) I was born one year to the day after the author of the Incompleteness Theorem passed away.

(2) My age is perfect, and I am old enough to vote, and I am not dead yet.

Because the weather forecast for today is bleak, (so far we only have nasty freezing rain), last night my brother and I took a drive and did a little shopping. I bought a couple of very nice toys, such as the one whose picture adorns the beginning of this entry. I also bought the DVD copy of the complete series Defenders of the Earth, which is, happily, just as awesome as I remember it. It has a fantastic theme song too.

We also looked at a lot of anime DVDs. I'm a little into them, and my brother is a lotta into them. I was trying to remember the name of one I remembered watching when I was very, very little. There was a train in it that traveled through space, and the title had the number 9 in it someplace. My brother fancies himself an expert on anime, but even he eventually gave up. He claimed I was making it up, since I lie to him all the time. But to be fair to me, I've only been lying to him for a little while, like since he was born.

He bet me a donut that I couldn't find out what it was. I took the bet. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have the knowledge of computation theory that I do, because otherwise he would have known that he can't possibly win until I die, at which point I suppose he would have to get my estate to buy him a donut. Hehehe.

As it turns out, a quick use of the Google yielded the title. It is Galaxy Express 999. The sucker owes me a donut. Hehe.

On our drive back I drove around Wendy's to pick up my fast food favorite, the Classic Double with Cheese, as a pre-birthday treat. (I'm trying to cut down.) I doubt you are as carefully familiar with this pinnacle of sandwich-ness as I am. It is a double hamburger (square, of course) on a plain white bun with american cheese, lettuce, raw onions, mustard, mayonnaise, and catsup. (I always say "ketchup", but I like the spelling "catsup". At least, I do right this instant.) There are also tomatoes and pickles available, but I don't generally care for them.

Amounts of the various condiments may vary with franchise and with burger cook, but the results are usually nothing short of spectacular. In most cases, the balance of flavor is blissful.

Unfortunately, upon returning home I discovered that my burger bliss had been replaced with a chicken sandwich. Gasp! This was still very good, but not what I was hoping for. Sigh...

Well, today I will make a fantastic chicken salad, and all culinary matters will be well once again.




A couple of things to add to previous entries. I mentioned that for any of the super-heroes I mentioned, there is a ridiculously complete profile available on Wikipedia. I meant to add that, as an alternative, you can always ask me. In most cases I am very nearly as good as Wikipedia, if not better in some aspects. Knowing this may also help explain some of my behavior to you in the future. If I ever forget your name, or the date, or that we had plans, etc., please remember that the space where I ought to be storing that information may have inadvertently been used to store the fact that the original X-Men consisted of Professor X, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Angel, and Iceman, and that their real names are Charles Francis Xavier, Scott Summers, Jean Grey, Hank McCoy, Warren Worthington III, and Bobby Drake, and that the occupations of their fathers, in order, were [I don't know], Air Force pilot, professor at Bard College, nuclear plant worker, CEO of a large corporation, and accountant.

Also, I was talking about how so many of my current behaviors seem to have been predicted by the events surrounding my birth. I wanted to add that I was born at approximately 8 AM, and I am still something of a morning person. (Truthfully, I am also something of a nighttime person. I am mostly just not a middle-of-the-day person.)




I think that's it. Eat something tasty today, in my honor. Preferably something you normally wouldn't let yourself.

No comments: