Friday, October 03, 2008

Whatsisname?





I have recently adopted a new bear, but unfortunately I don't know what his name is yet. He has a bear name already, of course, but I need something I can pronounce. He refuses to give me any help.

He seems quite taken by Category Theory.



He is following the Presidential and Vice-Presidential campaigns very carefully.



I recently became interested in the name "Bertram", but I don't think that quite right. I thought of the name "Bieberbach", after the German mathematician Ludwig Bieberbach, but he didn't exactly work in the same field of math that I do. (Maybe Cartan instead?) I'm also not sure what would be short for Bieberbach. Although the more I think about it, the more I kind of like it. Bieberbach. Bieberbach Bieberbach.

What about Bourbaki, after the invented personage Nicolas Bourbaki? I could refer to him as Bourbaki, or Nicolas. Hmmmm.

Bieberbach Bieberbach.

What do you think? Any ideas?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

don't use bieberbach - he was a very nasty guy, and your little bear looks too nice to deserve such a name.

ordinarily i would suggest hubbard the teddybear, but your bear does not have the eyebrows for it.

what about raoulbott the teddybear?

:)