Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Here I go, here I go, here I go again.

(Title inspired by the lyrics to Salt-n-Pepa's hit song, "Shoop".)

My goodness, I am prolific today. On the one hand, this can be attributed to the fact that, before today, it had been almost a year since I posted anything on this blog, so I have a lot saved up. But something closer to the truth is that, after finally finishing teaching a summer course, and getting all the exams graded and grades assigned, I am once again on a bit of summer vacation. Having finished reading all of my unread comic books, I find myself with a little leftover time and energy.

Of course, after leaving this blog alone for so long, I'm not sure if anyone still reads it. Hmmm. Well, never mind.

Two more funny things.




Several weeks ago, I had coffee with a friend in one of the coffee shop/cafes on campus. I had just finished telling a funny story, my friend told me I was funny. I told her she was funny, too. She was excited about this, and asked, "Really? You think I'm funny?"
"Sure," I replied. "Funny looking!"
She thought this was pretty humorous, and as people often do in these situations, she laughed and repeated the punch line: "I'm funny looking!"
Of course, she repeated it QUITE loudly, so that everyone else in the shop turned and looked at her. There were literally half a ton of people there, too!
Fantastic, just fantastic.




Several years ago, I suggested that it would be fun to have action figures of some of our Cornell math professors. I still think this is a very good idea, but it is probably prohibitively resource-consuming. Nonetheless, we did put some thought into the designs. For instance, one of the figures would have to come equipped with a fanny-pack, as well as a switch on its back that would allow you to raise and lower one of the figure's eyebrows. Another figure would come equipped with a huge black coat and hat, a large wooden staff/walking stick, and be coiffed with a wizard-like beard and mane of hair. Yet another could come with lots of different outfits, all of them green.

And of course, they would all include a "kung-fu grip", as defined in the following passage from Wikipedia.

"In 1974, named after the increasingly popular martial art, Hasbro introduced 'Kung-Fu Grip' to the G.I. Joe line. This was another innovation that had been developed in the UK for Action Man. The hands were sculpted in a softer plastic that allowed the fingers to grip objects in a more lifelike fashion."

Perhaps you can guess to whom these figures correspond. Perhaps you cannot. That's okay. You can imagine your own designs.

What would your action figure look like and come with?

(On a related note, perhaps you are one of those unfortunate people for whom the line between action figures and dolls is not clear. Apparently there is now a legal difference.

No comments: