Friday, November 10, 2006

Everything makes me sad

The title of this entry is a quote from Greg Muller. I don’t even remember the context, but it was very funny at the time.

Here is another funny quote about sadness. In an episode of Futurama, Fry is apparently killed in space. When back on Earth, Leela keeps having dreams that he’s still alive, that he still exists. The Professor replies, "Of course he still exists—as a frozen corpse in outer space. Oh…I made myself sad."

So I was riding the bus home from school the other day. I was on one of those sideways-facing seats. There were two undergraduates sitting across from me. They weren’t a couple, but they were totally into each other. You could totally tell. Totally.

The bus stopped at one of its, well, stops, and the kids started to panic. They didn’t know where the bus was, and they weren’t sure if this was their stop or not. They had to consult the driver, a passenger just getting on, and a passenger still sitting.

It wasn’t that they didn’t know where they were going, but it was nighttime and they couldn’t immediately see where the bus was, and they had lost track of the stops. They had completely lost track of where the bus was – that was how into each other they were.

I have never in my life lost track of the bus stops.

I’ve had conversations on the bus, and I’ve even been pretty into people I’ve been riding the bus with, but they’ve never been that into me at the same time. Because I’m pretty sure that if that had ever happened, not only would I have noticed, not only would I have lost track of what bus stop we were at, but I would almost definitely have lost track of what planet we were on.

And yet, I’ve always been pretty darn aware that I’m on planet Earth.

No comments: