Friday, November 10, 2006

One out of n isn't bad.



How large does n have to be for one out of n to actually be bad?

I've recently taken up playing basketball again. And when I say "playing basketball", I really mean "playing basketball by myself". And when I say "playing basketball by myself", I really mean "shooting at the basket, walking over and getting the ball, and then shooting again".

I used to enjoy this a lot, and I'm finding that I still kind of enjoy it. I'm a little rusty, but then I was never very good anyway, so there's not too much of a difference now.

My very favorite thing to do involving basketball and other people is the game where one person shoots, and if he/she scores, he/she gets to shoot again. Otherwise, whoever got the rebound gets to shoot. Occasionally someone will go in for a lay-up, or start dribbling around a little, and occasionally someone will give them a little obstacle, but it's very easy-going. There are no teams. I love this.

Competition has always made me pretty uneasy, even friendly competition.

Anyway, the thing I realized, or more accurately, remembered, was that my greatest challenge when I'm off shooting hoops by myself is not losing my cool. When I miss ten or more shots in a row, especially when the last eight were from less than two feet from the basket, it is incredibly difficult for me not to give the basketball a good kick. I remember doing this many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many times when I was in high school.

That was a very difficult time for me, and if that stupid ball wasn't going to cooperate with me, then, darn it, the ball was going for a little trip!

I think I'm much better about that now. I'm older, wiser, and more mature. And I'm far too lazy now to go get the ball after I kick it.

Score yet another for laziness!

No comments: