Monday, November 27, 2006

Available outside of class

I was just leaving the grocery store, and I remembered a pretty funny story.

A couple of years ago, sometime in mid-September, my sister and I were at the grocery store here in Ithaca. Down one of the aisles I saw one of the students from the class I was teaching, and her roommate. I said hi, and my sister and I kept shopping. We had paid and were leaving the store when we noticed my student and her roommate gathering their groceries together and getting ready to head to the bus stop.

I offered them a ride. We bundled up into my car, and as I drove out of the parking lot I told my student about the Course Evaluation that she would be asked to fill out at the end of the semester. I went on to describe how one of the questions would be "Was the lecturer available to help you outside of class?" And I asked my student to remember this night when it came time to answer that question.




I drove around Taco Bell tonight, and the cashier at the window had the most amazing voice. When I arrived at the window, I saw that the voice belonged to a beautiful girl. She just looked heart-breakingly sweet. The point of this story is that as I was waiting at the window for my food, I thought to myself, "What a beautiful voice this cute Taco Girl has." This was followed shortly by the thought, "Taco Girl is one of the very, very coolest nicknames I have ever, ever heard."

Taco Girl. My Taco Girl. Sweet Taco Girl. I love the nickname. I am going to have to find a girl who has something to do with tacos, just so I can use it.

Failing that, I am going to have to find a girl and give her a gigantic taco dinner, just so I can call her Taco Girl.

No comments: