Saturday, September 12, 2009

You're my main sandwich.

Yesterday in class, my students and I talked about the Squeeze Theorem for limits. This is also sometimes called the Sandwich Theorem; indeed this is how their huge and extremely heavy textbook calls it. I pointed out that although the Squeeze and Sandwich Theorems are the same, in general a squeeze and a sandwich are quite different. For instance, you wouldn't want to refer to your "main squeeze" as your "main sandwich".

This got a great laugh in both of my classes, not the least of which was from me. I suggested that, on second thought, perhaps you would want to call him or her your "main sandwich", because that would be HYSTERICAL.

One of my students asked what "main squeeze" means, and I answered that it refers to one's boyfriend or girlfriend, or something close to that. Another student objected, and claimed that it's a much more general term, and often just means your best friend or the person you hang out with the most. I was, and remain, highly dubious. No one else I have talked to agrees with this objecting student of mine, although opinions seem to vary on the level of commitment and exclusivity implied by being a "main squeeze".




I love sandwiches, always have. It's hard for me to identify the best sandwich I ever had, because besides being subjective from person to person, I find that the quality of food depends so much on my state at the time, particularly on how hungry I am. For instance, it may be that the best thing you ever taste is a plain cheese sandwich, simply because it's the first thing you get to eat after being ill for several days.

The weirdest sandwich I ever made, and ate, was a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich with peanut butter. No contest. And it was not especially tasty, although it may have been under different, and extreme, circumstances. The recipe came from a list of progressively stranger and more complicated recipes for different cheese sandwiches I found online at some point. I think it was titled something like "The Journey of a Cheese Sandwich", but I can't seem to find it anymore. Just as well. I probably don't have to mention that the peanut butter one was the last cheese sandwich recipe I tried from that list.

Speaking of sandwiches, did you know that there is a french fry sandwich? And that it has its own song? I confess that I have been known to add a couple of french fries to a pre-existing meat sandwich, on occasion, but I never tried it without the meet. Hmmmm...

No comments: